Saturday, October 20, 2012

Both to All: Transitioning to a Larger Family

Little hands in scratch art

Bringing our first daughter home was no easy breeze. There was much to learn and even more to get used to. It takes a certain amount of time to get used to surviving on little to no sleep (do you ever get used to that?). There was suddenly this new little person that was completely, 100% dependent on me (and the Husband). I couldn't call in sick, I couldn't quit, I didn't get vacation time. The pay off has been great. She's almost five now and quite independent. Even to the point where she's helping take care of the ones behind her, which is pretty amazing. She's full of questions and creativity. Her play time is just hilarious with her ideas and fantasies. Esther truly is a blessing.


Esther reading to Lydia
Bringing our second daughter home was a tad different. We knew the ropes. We knew how to do this baby thing. But this time around, there was a toddler to occupy as well. I remember feeling sad because Esther would play by herself a lot more than she was used to. She would sit and look at books for hours on end. Not once did I regret our second daughter, but I did long to have just one again so we could have those fun play times together once more. Of course those of us who have more than one child already know the punch line to this scenario. Eventually, Abigail wasn't eating ALL THE TIME and I could have that one on one time that was craving with my first born. And then suddenly Abigail became a big girl. And she and Esther were playing together and having a ball.

Adding our third daughter was definitely different, but easier than our second. We did already know the baby thing and the big girls could play with each other. I didn't have the same feelings of abandoning Esther as I did when Abigail was born. The big girls love to help out with Lydia. And truly, Lydia loves her big sisters. She loves to watch them run and play. They rush to her side when she cries. Adding number three has been the easiest transition for sure.

Abigail playing with Lydia
It's interesting though, when I stop to think about it. Suddenly we don't have 'both,' we have 'all.' Are all the girls ready to go? Have all the girls eaten? Do they all need a bath tonight? Its weird to know we'll never have a 'both' again, but also wonderful. I know we wouldn't change things for the world. We love all of our girls. They're all a blessing. We're excited to see what God has in store for all of our girls.

3 comments:

  1. I've heard that-- that the transition from 1 to 2 is the hardest and then they get better/easier after that (not that I'd know)! I still can't believe you have three kids! And they are ALL wonderful, it's true!! Love that pic of E reading to L. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously I can't believe we have 3 kids! How are we old enough?! :)

      Delete